Saturday, February 6, 2010

shakespeare

i met a boy. well, it was a boy i already knew from my acting conservatory over the summer, but i felt as if we had meet for the first time. a little piece of me fell completely in love with him. it's strange, because i've been studying shakespeare for years now, but he made realize how beautiful it truly can be. i've always thought shakespeare was beautiful, mainly just because romeo & juliet is, to me, the most beautiful story ever written. but he made me realize that even simple things, things we take for granted in modern english, once had a divine poignancy that we'll never be able to retrieve.

some of my favorite lines include:

ROMEO: I dream'd a dream to-night.
MERCUTIO: And so did I.
ROMEO: Well, what was yours?
MERCUTIO: That dreamers often lie. (- R&J)

HELENA: And though she be but little, she is fierce. (- A Midsummer Night's Dream)

ROMEO: Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night. (- R&J)

BOTTOM: I see their knavery: this is to make an ass of me. (- A Midsummer Night's Dream)

TYBALT: What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word,
As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee. (- R&J)

JULIET: Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun. (- R&J)



No comments:

Post a Comment